The “devil is in the dust”

A couple in Pennsylvania moved into a Victorian-style house built in 1925 in the Philadelphia Mount Airy neighborhood with their 3 year old son and soon discovered that lead poisoning knows no socioeconomic boundaries.

Their son had invented a game that he called “sock soup,” which he “cooked” on the home’s windowsills and then “ate” by putting a sock in his mouth.

Upon being tested for lead by a pediatrician, they learned that their son’s blood tested at a level 6, which the pediatrician described as “elevated”, since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention calls for health intervention when a child’s blood lead level reaches 5 micrograms per deciliter.

They hired a certified lead inspector to do testing and lab analysis of interior areas and they discovered that the windowsills were loaded with toxic lead dust.

Through a regiment of heavy cleaning of surface areas at least twice a week and by encapsulating or removing lead from windows throughout the house, they were able to bring their son’s blood lead level down from 6 to 3.
This couple learned in a very personal way that often the “devil is in the dust”.